Some general questions on CanSat Competition

All the participants and organizers can discuss in this forum about the Cansat Competition: bases, cansats, rocket...

Moderators: hector.salvador, Borja.Hidalgo

Some general questions on CanSat Competition

Postby Zuhaili on 11 Jan 2010, 04:04

I'm interested in the CanSat competition but there are few things that i'd like to clarify:

1) How will the CanSat be launched? Is it using Amateur Rocket? If it is, then must a CanSat team develop their own rocket or it will be provided by the organizer.

2) For CanSat telemetry, can we transmit/use more than one frequency for our CanSat from ISM band spektrum (dual-frequency)?

3) Do you have any guidelines regarding the PDR?

Thanks in advance.
Zuhaili

Re: Some general questions on CanSat Competition

Postby didac.zurita on 11 Jan 2010, 18:06

Hi Zuhaili,

thanks for your e-mail!!
I answer in the nexts lines your questions:

1) How will the CanSat be launched? Is it using Amateur Rocket? If it is, then must a CanSat team develop their own rocket or it will be provided by the organizer.
The CanSat will be launched by RK-20, a rocket designed & builded by LEEM.

2) For CanSat telemetry, can we transmit/use more than one frequency for our CanSat from ISM band spektrum (dual-frequency)?
As it's explained in the guidelines http://www.fly.leem.es/bases (2nd_International_CanSat_Competition_English_v00.pdf) there are a table with the frequencies that you can use. Howeover if you want to use dual-frequency remember that you can receive only information, never send information from the Ground Station to CanSat.

3) Do you have any guidelines regarding the PDR?
There are no rules guidelines for write the Preliminary Design Review (PDR) because there are very diferents objectives in each team. This document must be 4-5 pages more or less. You have to write there the generals concepts of your product! The PDR in this Competition pretend to be only a guide that each Team hast to send us for know if you are working in the correct line or howeover you are working incorrectly.
We hope each Team coul send a good PDR clear and precise but with general aspects.
The deadline to deliver the PDR is the Sunday 28th of February at 23:55 CET of the 2010.

I hope I will help your questions!!
Best Regards,
didac.zurita

Postby furri on 11 Jan 2010, 21:29

which will be the scope of the CDR?

I mean... must we (e.g.) describe the electronic system and the general algorithms or we must attach the schematic and source code?

thanks
Paco.
furri

Postby didac.zurita on 13 Jan 2010, 03:54

On the CDR you have to write every detaill that each Team has worked in the project.

That means that if some one out of the team read the CDR then could do again the project with not a lot of problems. It will be a excellent CDR!

I can't say exactlly what you have to write on CDR because the 2nd one it is/could be part also of the puntuation (depending of the Category)

I give you some definition:
https://acc.dau.mil/CommunityBrowser.aspx?id=28859
didac.zurita

Postby furri on 13 Jan 2010, 10:15

Hi again.

The link is not working.... could you copy&paste? :)

In my opinion, If we assume that this person out of the team have similar technical knowledge as we have is not necessary to give him the source code.

I don't want to see my job published in the "the hi-tech vague's corner"... :)

Paco.
furri

Postby didac.zurita on 14 Jan 2010, 01:17

Dear furri,

each PDR and CDR remains only on the Organization and Jury.
The Jury be able to evaluate the documentation that received.

If a Team don't want to show what they do, then can't be evaluate in this part, as is logical.

I've proved the link and it works good. I copy again: https://acc.dau.mil/CommunityBrowser.aspx?id=28859

Thanks,
didac.zurita

Postby Zuhaili on 14 Jan 2010, 03:19

Thanks for the reply.

By the way, i just want to know that for the student team can we considered Master or PhD student as student or should it be only undergraduate?
Zuhaili

Postby didac.zurita on 14 Jan 2010, 11:49

Following this way how can be considered an student with 30 years who is in the 3rd degree: for example electronic systems, after do Telecommunications and Aeronautics? although he will be only undergraduate current?

How can we considered an student who studies economical or other who is studing Ingeneering or cience?

All this questions as your answers, dear Zuhaili, it will be considered by the Jury.

From the Organization we did only a division about Student Team and Professional Team, as it's explain on the general guidelines www.fly.leem.es/bases

Kindly,
didac.zurita

Postby sghleem on 22 Jan 2010, 10:09

hello all
I wanted to ask if there is any document or raw material about the rocket with which CANSATs will be launched.
we want some data about the trajectory at which it will fly or some data of rocket's performance out of that we can extract the path.

There is also another question about the communication frequencies that are they limited to the mentioned list in guideline or ...?
specifically I wanted to know if we can use a frequency about 900MHz for commu or not?!

thanks alot :)
sghleem

Postby eleazar.gonzalez on 28 Jan 2010, 18:27

Hello everyone

For the CanSat Competition the devices will be launched from the LEEM Rk-20 rocket designed and developed by us.
The fly performances I can give you are the following ones.

- The ejection altitude will be between 1.400 and 1.500 depending on the wind conditions.
- The rocket will be launched trying to keep the most straight rising during the fly time.
- The expected acceleration, due to the maximal take off weight and our motor characteristics, will be between 22 and 26 Gs (1G = 9,81 m/s^2),depending on the final rocket configuration. A more accurate value will be given to the team after the PDR (before the CDR).

The trajectory of the rocket will not be given to any team, it is part of the challenge... simply, you can suppose a no wind vertical trajectory, or, if you want to go further, make son fly simulations with the data given by us.

The 900 MHz in Europe is forbidden to use it as free frecuency. In the competition bases appears a list of the allowed frequencies.

If anyone have more any questions, make it...:)
Good luck

Eleazar Gonzalez Casas
LEEM Rockets Coordinator
Eleazar González Casas
LEEM Rockets Coordinator
eleazar.gonzalez@leem.es
eleazar.gonzalez

Postby sghleem on 10 Feb 2010, 09:48

I wanted to ask you to get us more info about this part of data which should be sent real time by the cansat:
"Three digital signals logic level (to be simulated by the CanSat)"

Also I wanted to ask if we can add to the Categories and missions, remaining the size as before in the CDR and participate in the competition with all of them?
In other words, I want to check that how cansats will be evaluated and what components will get the points? By the registration data or by the elements mentioned in CDR?
sghleem

Postby sghleem on 22 Feb 2010, 20:58

NO ANSWER FOR LONG TIME?!!!
sghleem

Postby didac.zurita on 23 Feb 2010, 02:22

Dear sghleem,

this forum is a open forum for eveyone. Please don't write more with capital letters and be quiet.
If you are in a competition with a engineers designes and you find some problem you've to find solutions, no only do a questions and wait the answers. Every answer of this forum is only help for you. However you could supose a possible answer: that's make a project!!

Clarification of Section 2.2.6

Three logic level digital signals (to simulate the cansat)

The purpose of this section is to provide for the incorporation of telemetry system in the family winning the LEEM rocket.

As future rocket subsystem, you must be able to handle more events than those provided in section 7 of that paragraph, (rocket launch, parachute deployment). These events may be very variable and it should build 3 digital outputs.

The team will select 3 events they consider important in an aerospace mission. The system must be able to detect them, put the corresponding output high level, and communicate to the Ground Station that the event X has happened, which is activated the corresponding output.

About how to write PDR and CDR we give some idea on the link: http://fly.leem.es/bases2/pdr-cdr/
As it says on the bases PDR won't have puntuation. CDR yes, but it will be part of the decision of the jury. There are no rules about it.
didac.zurita

Postby sghleem on 23 Feb 2010, 08:13

wow! :shock:

Quietly, I wanted to mention some points:

1- Our team got the Clarification you kindly wrote just a week after the question (which is long time age!!) and I was insisting on the answer to the second one (that I've not gotten yet!)

2- The second part of my latest post might be week in explanation. So you can't get me the answer I needed. I mainly want to ask if we can add anything (not included in the team registration data nor PDR) to our mission in the CDR?!

If yes, it will be evaluated or not?! or we can just do it and test it in beside the mission we previously registered for.
I don't want to know how CDR is evaluated, but I want (and wanted and will want!!!) to know how the final product will be evaluated? By the checkpoints based on registration data or CDR or anything else?

Dear Didac,
Keeping quiet, I hope this amount of capital letters did not seem harmful!
BTW, my name is Sajjad if you like to know. :twisted:
sghleem

Postby didac.zurita on 23 Feb 2010, 12:18

Sajjad,

as it says on the bases, CDR, Presentation, Launch and Conclution will be evaluated point of view of the Jury.

¿How? I don't have any idea. The Jury is expert people to evaluate each project, concretly CanSat.
I recommend you do CDR, Presentation, Launch and Conclution all the best that you can. In this line if you think that you've included moe details I think always it's better in a engineer project as CanSat.

I can't say anything because my point of view is not the same than the Jury!

I hope help you with this answer!
didac.zurita

Next

Return to 3rd International CanSat Competition